Potatoes tastes great when cooked with chicken, that's because it absorbs spices and those lovely flavors. Chicken potato masala is a common kerala chicken dish and it goes well with appam / pathiri / hot rice.
Chicken : 1kg, Cut in to small pieces
Potato : 2, medium sized, cubed
Onion : 3, medium sized, Sliced
Tomato : 2, medium sized, sliced
Ginger garlic green chilli paste : 2tsp
Chilli Powder : 3tsp
Coriander Powder : 5tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/2tsp
Garam Masala : 1tsp
Curry leaves : 2springs
Coconut oil : 3tbsp
1. Heat oil in a kadai and saute the green chilli-ginger-garlic paste and curry leaves till you get a nice aroma. Now add the onions and saute them till it turns translucent.
2. Add the tomatoes and combine well. After 5minutes put all spices one by one and dry roast them till it turns dark brown.
3. Now add the chicken pieces and saute for 5minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups of water and cook for 15minutes on low flame.
4. When the chicken is 50%cooked add the potatoes and cook for another 15minutes.
5. Add enough salt and turn of the flame. Close the kadai with a tight lid and let it stand for another 10minutes before serving.
Note : You can cook this in a pressure cooker easily. Use pressure cooker instead of kadai in 3rd step , after adding chicken saute it for 5minutes and pressure cook chicken with potatoes. For better results open the lid only after 20minutes.