This is a typical kerala tea time snack. Its usually available in the local tea shops.Filling can be substituted with chana dal according to your taste.
Green gram(Whole)(Cherupayar) : 1 cup
Jaggery : 6pieces or 1/2cup
Grated Coconut : 1Cup
Cardamom powder : 1/2 tsp
Ghee : 1tbsp
For the batter:
Allpurpose flour(Maida) 1cup
Salt - A pinch
Yellow food color / Turmeric powder : 1/8tsp, if required
1. Soak green gram for a minimum of 6hrs. den, Pressure cook it with required water.
2. When pressure releases pour it in a saucepan with that water and add jaggery. when it becomes like a thick gravy add the grated coconut.
3. When it starts to leave from the edges of sauce pan, add cardamom powder and ghee. Make sure that the mix is dry. Remove it from stove and leave it to cool.
4. Make small lemon sized balls from the mixture and keep aside.
5. Now make a thick batter with maida, salt and required water. batter should be in iddli batters consistency.
6. Dip each balls into this batter and deep fry it.Make sure that it is completely coated with the flour mixture.
7. Carefully dip it in the oil and fry to a golden brown colour.